Pages

10/15/2007

Trashion team spotlight - Interview: Stars Dreams and Jewels

Shop name: Stars Dreams and Jewels
Shop address: www.StarsDreamsandJewels.etsy.com
In a nutshell: Eclectic and Collage Jewelry

Tell us a bit about yourself :

I graduated with a BFA in metalsmithing and textiles in 2002. I really enjoy coming up with new ideas and methods for my jewelry making. I try not to limit myself with my ideas, materials, and techniques. My motto is “anything can be made into jewelry” I have been making jewelry for over 15 years. My favorite thing to make is collage style bracelets. Trinkety kitschy style bracelets are the shizzle!!!!!

I’m a full-time artist working from my home. I currently sell on Etsy.com and have my jewelry in one shop and am entering into two more in the next 2 wks. So, I am really busy making new jewelry. It is a very exciting time for me!!!

I’m an animal lover and activist. When I am not making jewelry you will find me at the Humane Society of Jefferson County or doing outside volunteer work for them. I love to cook and bake and I have recently published a cookbook, 25% of the proceeds of that cookbook go to benefit the Jefferson County Humane Society.

Trashion materials: everything and anything…I don’t set limits on myself

I transform them into: jewelry/wearable art

How do you do it? Anyway I can!!!!!

What inspired you to do this and why are you involved in trashion?

I am what my family calls a physco recycler. When I have to throw something out, I look at it and think about what else I could use it for. Trashion is an awesome concept. To remake/repurpose something that someone would have thrown out It always makes me feel good inside to take something that I originally thought was unusable into something useable and beautiful. I am putting a little less into the landfill and making jewelry out of it!!! So it is a win, win for everyone.

Do you remember the first thing you made using the trashion concept? What was it?

I can’t really remember what the item was that I made. I have been reusing/repurposing things for over 15 years. While in college I made a Raggedy Ann and Andy doll out of actual “rags” I thought that was fitting because part of their names started with “raggedy” Recently I have been taking apart non-working clock motors and other gadgets and using them in my jewelry.

What are your current projects and what is on the horizon?

I have been working on making jewelry out of used bottle caps and using a lot of little second-hand trinkets that I buy at thrift stores. I try to have at least 50% of my store items using some sort of recycled or second-hand item. I am trying my hand at weaving bracelets and other goodies out of telephone wire…so far so good. It is a little hard to work with….but I will make it work.

Why should people buy handmade, and buy from trashion?

Why wouldn’t they? I can’t imagine not buying handmade. I guess that is probably because my whole family is crafty and makes different things. We all really enjoy the idea that someone took the time to make a quality item. I feel like I have someone really special, something to be cherish, when I buy something handmade. As goes for why should people buy from trashion? That is easy,,,,it is helping the planet…..ohh and besides the fact that trashion is so very awesome!!!! How could you go wrong with that combo?

More you'd like to share:

A little amusing story to tell: I was recently at a surplus store. I had a little plastic tube of some sort in my hand. I was staring at it intently, turning it around and around. It had a pointed tip with a hole in it. I keep thinking, “I really like the color of this thing” “What could I make out of this” “How could I make it into jewelry” My thoughts were interrupted by an employee. He said, “ You look way to serious to be at a surplus store” I told him that I was thinking about what I could use this item for and that the wheels were turning in my head” He quickly told me that it was used to put on the tip of a bottle and that they were used as medical supplies. I laughed and said, “Oh no….I meant what I could use it for, not what it is actually used for” I told him that I was going to make it into jewelry and he said “okay” I got to talking with him and within a couple of minutes he asked for my website and said that my ideas where really “interesting” . I told if a little about trashion and he said that was one of the coolest things he had heard of in awhile. Trashion is awesome…spread the word!!!!

No comments: