Pages

12/12/2007

Trashion team spotlight - Interview: FlyBall Bags

Shop name: FlyBall Bags
Shop address: www.flyballbags.etsy.com

In a nutshell:

Handbags and accessories made from a mix of new, recycled and vintage fabrics

Tell us a bit about yourself :

I’m an actor in theatre and film and decided about 5 years ago to start sewing. Since then I’ve sold thousands of my designs through my website, artisans shows, wholesaling and now, etsy.

Trashion materials:

I use all fabric in my work. I love vintage linens, barkcloth and drapery. I also use bedsheets for appliqué or linings.. I use men’s tie a lot for straps and other interesting ways, I use vintage buttons too all over. I use West Indian clothing for sparkle here and there, and vintage dresses… those are my favorites anyways.. but it doesn’t stop there!

I transform them into:

One of a Kind Handbags and accessories including journals, coin purses, reversible headbands, mini clutches, ornaments, pins, etc.

How do you do it?

Well, I get inspired by the fabrics I use and I love to mix and match them all for a really cool design in the end

What inspired you to do this and why are you involved in trashion?

I just love older things… in my house, antiques, etc. I love the history of an older item. I love to scavenge for fabrics… I love the hunt! So, it made sense to bring that into my business. Trashion seemed like the next obvious step

Do you remember the first thing you made using the trashion concept?

I used to make bags out of old jeans.

What are your current projects and what is on the horizon?

I’ve been preparing for a huge artisan show in Toronto called the One of a Kind Show ( www.oneofakindshow.com). I also trying to post on etsy as much as possible too.. as sales are picking up there.

Why should people buy handmade, and buy from trashion?

Handmade is where it’s at. I’ve taken the pledge to buy only handmade this year. Trashion is just that much better because it’s reusing materials that may never have been used again. I think you’ve got to feel good about that!






No comments: