Pages

6/01/2008

Trashion Team Spotlight- Interview with Maija of DavaEva Designs!

Shop name: DavaEva Designs

Shop address: www.davaeva.etsy.com

Other sites: www.creativitydoesntdodishes.blogspot.com


Trashion materials:
I love plastic bags! Yes the kind everyone takes for granted and usually disposes of improperly. A plastic bag has so many possibilities! And yarn...lots and lots of yarn. I am a self-professed yarnaholic!

What do you transform them into? I turn plastic bags and yarn into beautiful, thick, and eco-friendly rugs. Rugs liven up any place they are put not to mention they keep your tosies warm too!

How do you do it? humm..well it is kind of a lengthy process really. I need to cut the bags into useable strips then tie them together and wind them up...this is kind of like spinning yarn I think..in theory. Then I choose the yarns I want to use. Then I crochet my ideas. I can make a rug in a day easily but the spinning can take up to 2 days as the method is slow.


Do you remember the first thing you made using the trashion concept?

well let me think...aside from the paste and noodle numbers you do as a kid...I would have to say the first thing I made was a tailored suit coat for myself from an old one of my Dad's suits. I sure thought I was a hottie in it too...all '80's punk. Yeah so not hot!

What are your current projects and what is on the horizon? to use up all the yarn I have BEFORE buying any more! I try to set realistic goals like to make 3 rugs a week. I do some sewing here and there too.

Why should people buy handmade, and buy from trashion?
People should buy handmade simply for the love poured into one thing that has been made well. Handmade doesn't mean made at home for cheap! It means I took the time to create something that I would like to share with the world and hopefully someone, somewhere wants to buy it, or even trade for it!

Thank you for sharing your beautiful work with us Maija!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

those rugs are gorgeous! what great colors! (I've made "plarn" from bags...but I could only ever get my hands on white and tan bags)
great interview!

19 Moons Jewelry & Accessories said...

Very cool interview- I never knew these bags could be made into such lovely subtle colored compositions!

Niffer
www.19moons.etsy.com

antonia lindsey said...

This is really inspiring! Thank you for all your heartfelt time and labor to make these beautiful pieces Maija!!