Pages

7/08/2008

Trashion Team Spotlight- Linda of FashionGreenTBags!

Shop Name: FashionGreenTBags

Shop Address:
http://www.fashiongreentbags.etsy.com


Tell us a bit about yourself:
I'm ridiculously happily married and have 2 children, Michelle is a 20 year-old college honor student and David is a 17 (almost 18) year-old high school honor student. I'm a 26 year teaching veteran but I'm currently on a medical leave. I began my Etsy business to keep me busy and to hopefully positively impact the environment. I'm passionate about children's rights, children, the environment and reaching out to people of all ages who are in need. I currently volunteer for several senior citizens at a local apartment complex.

Trashion materials: recycled fabrics obtained from clearance or sale items at thrift stores or garage sales.

I transform them into:
reusable bags (to replace plastic bags at the grocery/market store.) watches, other miscellaneous items as I think of them. I've also used fused plastic newspaper bags and shredded paper to create my padded laptop case.

How do you do it?
(a bit personal, don't you think? LOL) I am not really a seamstress. I make up what I'm doing as I do it. As a result the final products are sometimes the 5th or 1000th attempt.


What inspired you to do this and why are you involved in trashion?
I've been concerned about the environment for a very long time. I'm doing everything I can think of to reduce plastic in my life. I think our society is too consumptive and way too highly dependent on material acquisitions for making us feel worthwhile. I think our priorities have become a little mixed-up.

Do you remember the first thing you made using the trashion concept?
Yes
What was it? It was a resuable bag made from a t-shirt.

What are your current projects and what is on the horizon?
I'm making some bags and I've found some great leather skirts that I want to make into some purses.


Why should people buy handmade, and buy from trashion?
Handmade is very special. Since we're all small enterprises, we depend greatly upon the satisfaction of our customers so our products are quality creations and we strive for total customer satisfaction. You don't find that in "big box" stores.

Buying Trashion is a way to feed our desire for new products and have a minimal impact on the environment at the same time. We use very few new materials and recycled packaging so our goods leave micro-mini footprints. Repurposing old materials is an exercise in total creativity. To look at an existing item and envision it as something different is fun and exciting and results in surprising new products.

Thank you for sharing your awesome work with us Linda! Great reuse!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful with your blog it is very useful to me.

Anonymous said...

Awesome Linda!! I have several of Linda's t-shirts made into bags here at home, and they are really nice. Some will be holiday presents, one I may have to keep for myself...just can't decide which one yet!

WendyB said...

Cute items!