Pages

8/15/2008

Trashion Team Spotlight- Interview with Ricki of Rixie Pixie!

Shop name: RixiePixie

Shop address: Rixiepixie.etsy.com

Other sites: http://rixiepixie.blogspot.com



Trashion materials: CD's, wood shapes, screws, scrap stickers, scrap paper, ribbon, clothes pins, Pretty much anything I can get my hands on that would look good on a CD.

What do you transform them into? I make photo holders, coasters and wall art that i like to call "Wall Flowers" with the CDs. I recently made a "Pirate Ship" and used the CD as a 'boat' instead of the actual photo holding part.

How do you do it? I just find things to decorate the CDS (flat for coasters, and 3D for photo holders!) and go all out to make the CDS sparkle!!



Do you remember the first thing you made using the trashion concept? Before my CD phase i had made ALOT of upcycled projects. For my art class in community college, we were assigned to make a "found object" sculpture of a person.

What was it? I ended up with a Girl who was jump roping. It was really fun, used a 5 gallon Zephyrhills jug for her body, PVC pipes and funnels for the limbs, and an old jump rope. I can't quite remember what I used for hair...I think it was scrap yarn that i tied into pig tails with some pipe cleaners. But ever since the whole "Go Green" idea popped up, i was looking around my house for anything i could use to decorate, like soda tabs, and random confetti.



What are your current projects and what is on the horizon? Right now i'm working on a few different things. I'm starting a new line of "Business Card" Holders for shows, and recipe holders for the bakers and chefs out there who always seem to get their recipes covered in food! I have a few ideas of making Wedding table center pieces, some baby shower gifts and decorations, and some other goodies i still haven't thought of yet =D



Why should people buy handmade and from trashion? When people buy handmade items, they're buying one-of-a-kind gifts for someone or for themselves. These items are not mass produced and 50 million people don't own the same thing! I think thats the best reward from buying handmade, and that your supporting artists from around the world! Now, buying trashion items is an absolute plus! Not only are you getting an AMAZING product from an artist but that product was trash-to-treasure! It take a lot more talent then one thinks to turn trash into something beautiful.

Thank you for sharing your work with us Ricki! Way to go giving used cds a glam new life!

3 comments:

tinahdee said...

Yay! I knew you when, Ricky. :) Your CDs are beautiful and cute and fun. Great work.

Anonymous said...

Awesome upcycled items! I love your ideas for future projects too, I can't wait to see what you come up with next:o)
Tammy
Inner Muse Jewelry Designs

Anonymous said...

so whimsical and cute! Congratulations on a great interview.