Pages

9/30/2008

Yellow Walls Designs New Twists on Paper

Materials Focus: Paper
Trashion team member Rebecca Potts of YellowWalls gives new life to paper with lovely twists! We asked her a few questions about reuseing paper and here is what she had to say:

What do you make by re-using paper?

I make jewelry and I'm working on holiday ornament ideas. I also make journals and cards, but haven't posted them yet.

What do you find the most satisfying about your creations?
I love being able to turn my trash into something useful and beautiful. It's also lots of fun figuring out new ways of using paper.

Where do you typically find the paper you repurpose?
Under my kitchen sink, where I keep the recycling and garbage. I literally go through my own trash and take out anything that might be redeemable.

What type of paper products do you use?

Anything I can get my hands on. Cardboard and card stock work really well for my jewelry and for book covers, while thinner paper like all the junkmail and old newspapers are great for recycling into paper pulp.

Where did you learn your current techniques?

I started making paper using a blender, window screen, and my oven when I was about 12 years old. Then during my year abroad in college I got to learn more about paper making from experts in Australia. Now I'm back in school and learning even more from professor Joan Hall. I also learned book-making in college. Jewelry making I mostly just taught myself by messing around with materials. I had a short lesson from a friend about wire wrapping and then took it from there.

Where do you get your inspiration for your projects?

I'm a bit obsessed with maps, so that comes through in some of my work. I also make things based on what my friends and family like - for example, I make lots of elephant images because my sister likes Elephants. Whatever materials I'm using also inspire me with their colors and shapes.

Which of the tools you use is your favorite?
I would be lost without my pliers.

Tell us about a couple favorite items they've made from paper and why they stand out in your mind.

I love the colorful earrings. I'm also excited about these elephant pendants I'm working on.

Any final thoughts you want to share?

Just to stress the importance of the 3 R's right now. It's up to us to make sure our children will be able to enjoy this beautiful planet.


Interested in discovering more about Rebecca Potts and her work? Check out her website. Want a one of her three R jewels for your very own? Go to her Etsy shop!

1 comment:

rejenerate said...

SO great to see so many others turning trash into treasure!!

Keep up the good work :)