Pages

2/21/2009

Interview with Lisa of WinterDreams!


Shop name: WinterDreams

Shop address: www.winterdreams.etsy.com

Other sites: www.diywinterdreams.blogspot.com
www.yourgreenshopper.blogspot.com

What draws you to using trashion materials?
Being concerned about the environment, people, animals and the planet seems to frame everything I do anymore. It only seemed natural that it would influence my art. To me making art can be political, making art using recycled materials is making a political statement. I've wanted to find ways to reuse recycled materials and to make them fun and usable again for a long time. I finally worked up the nerve to take the dive in and have been thrilled that I have. Besides being drawn to these kinds of projects on an ethical level I've always been drawn to the kind of aesthetic that recycled materials makes. I love collage, mixed media and fiber arts that are chunky, gritty and with lots of life.

What trashion materials do you use?
Anything I can get my hands on. Currently, I'm using lots of recycled clothing for as many different projects that I can think of.

What do you transform them into?
One of my favorite projects, I'm working on is using plastic ice cubes with some wire and beads and making sun catchers. I also make lots of clothing, hats and accessories right now.

How do you do it?
To make the clothing, I combine two or more pieces of clothing
and turn it into a new piece. I add new arms, do reverse applique, or
totally disassemble the clothes and turn it into something new. I'm
also using lots of corduroy pants and shirts and turning them into sun
hats. This is has been a lot of fun.

Where do you get your inspiration?
I've always been interested in the place where art and functionality meet. To me that's what a lot of us on the trashion team do, find ways to make art functional.

Do you remember the first thing you made using the trashion concept?
I painted sleeves, hood and middle section of a shirt, combined it with another shirt to make a completely new shirt.

What are your current projects and what is on the horizon?
I'd like to make more fine art; painting, mixed media and collage. I'd also like to start making pottery again, this is one of my favorite ways to make functional art. I haven't figured out a way to use recycled materials for this yet. And my super secret project that I'm working on for this spring is to take and recycle ripstop nylon - like windbreakers, and turn them into kites. Still figuring parts of this project out.

Anything else you'd like to add?

Just that I'm excited to be part of this team, there is so much great inspiration here and a lot of wonderful artists. I'm always excited to see what they are going to do next.

2 comments:

re-maker said...

It's great to get to know you a little better.

I love your upcycled clothing, and can't wait to see the kites!!

lisa winter said...

thanks pam for the nice comment. thanks steph for putting this together. it's great. feels a little weird seeing my answers in print on the big screen. good but a little like bragging.