Pages

1/27/2010

Interview with Andria from You've Been Upcycled

Shop name: You've Been Upcycled
Shop address: www.youvebeenupcycled.etsy.com


What draws you to using trashion materials?
I love to recycle and I love to do my “arts and crafts” as my husband calls them. My kids drink Capri Suns every day and I thought it would be a waste just to throw them out, so I started making things with them. I have a 2 year old and would recycled his baby food jars and have a lot of those left over as well, so I let my older kids make snow globes out of them and help me make colorful candle holders.



What trashion materials do you use?
Capri Suns, gift cards, vinyl records, baby food jars, buttons, magazines, and vintage belt buckles.



Do you remember the first thing you made using the trashion concept?
My baby food jar candle holders. I made them for my wedding as hanging lanterns in the trees.

Where do you find your inspiration?
I see something that someone created and think - "I bet I could do that, let me figure out what they did" and come up with my own new creation. I'm a "learner" and love to make new things.



What creative ways do you come by your trashion materials?
Well, I usually use them and save them. I did come across my large collection of vinyl records through an auction at a storage facility, but other than that – I just use them and then reuse them!



What are your current projects and what is on the horizon?
I’m always looking to make new things that I haven’t already tried. Right now I’m starting to make new things with my Capri Suns (like pencil holders and change purses) and designing new vinyl record bracelets. So far, that’s my favorite thing to make. I also have around 200 chip/snack bags that I'm looking to turn into something...

Anything else you'd like to add?
I just want to thank you for requesting an interview! I love the Trashion Team and have been following the blog since I started selling on Etsy – it’s such an honor to be featured.

2 comments:

Celeste Jean said...

your items here are so fun!

Candy Bello said...

awesome! I love the bracelet!!

:)
candy